The recipe calls for chicken, but I omitted it- I'm a vegetarian. I did make chicken though- along side in another pan for my meat eating boyfriend. Below is the recipe I used with a few adaptations from the original.
- 6 large shallots
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes (skin on)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/4 cup or more minced fresh cilantro
- Peel shallots, and cut in half. Place oil in a large skillet, and turn heat to medium high. Add shallots cook until they start browning. Add eggplant, salt and pepper, and lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant softens, about 15 minutes. Preheat broiler to lo.
- When eggplant begins to brown, add half the ginger, and cook 3 minutes or so more, until eggplant is very tender and the mixture fragrant. The eggplant will not be crisp, this is a comfort dish- go with the soft texture.
- Meanwhile, rub chicken breast with salt, pepper and remaining ginger. Broil about 5 inches from the heat source for 3 minutes a side or until done.
- Stir half the cilantro into eggplant mixture. Serve chicken breasts on a bed of eggplant. Garnish with remaining cilantro.