Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eggplants with Shallots and Ginger

I first got this recipe from a cookbook I borrowed from the library. After making this dish once I was hooked. Its eggplant season, and I don't know a cook who wouldn't want another delicious eggplant recipe to add to their collection. My mom grows eggplant in her garden, and is up to her earlobes in this purple veggie. I raved to her about this dish, and of course she wanted it. Being the smart woman I am I decided to search the internet before I typed the whole recipe by hand. I found it here, on Mark Bittman's food blog hosted by the New York Times.

The recipe calls for chicken, but I omitted it- I'm a vegetarian. I did make chicken though- along side in another pan for my meat eating boyfriend. Below is the recipe I used with a few adaptations from the original.

Ingredients
  • 6 large shallots
  • 1/4 cup grape seed oil
  • 1 to 1 1/4 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes (skin on)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup or more minced fresh cilantro
Directions
  1. Peel shallots, and cut in half. Place oil in a large skillet, and turn heat to medium high. Add shallots cook until they start browning. Add eggplant, salt and pepper, and lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant softens, about 15 minutes. Preheat broiler to lo.
  2. When eggplant begins to brown, add half the ginger, and cook 3 minutes or so more, until eggplant is very tender and the mixture fragrant. The eggplant will not be crisp, this is a comfort dish- go with the soft texture.
  3. Meanwhile, rub chicken breast with salt, pepper and remaining ginger. Broil about 5 inches from the heat source for 3 minutes a side or until done.
  4. Stir half the cilantro into eggplant mixture. Serve chicken breasts on a bed of eggplant. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
We also made a side of couscous, it was delicious.

No comments: