Saturday, January 21, 2012

I'd rather be running on a treadmill, than go on a date with you.


Last year around this time I went on a few dates with a guy we'll call "Peter the Pastry Chef". His company was somewhat enjoyable, but while I was with him I'd be thinking about how much more fun I'd be having alone reading. Peter the Pastry Chef was really into me. I could tell how nervous he was, and that he really tried to impress me. Both of which would be completely endearing if I was info him too. There was no spark despite the fact that he was cute (for someone who are cake more than Marie Antoinette), interesting, adventitious (he hiked the Appalachian trail...all of it!), he listened to the same music I did, has a similar upbringing....but there was nothing. After a few dates of not feeling the spark I stopped seeing him.

I find myself in a similar situation, however it is a little stickier- he's a friend of a friend who I see around a lot. Ugh! I enjoy being alone, perhaps a little too much. I like the freedom of doing what I want to when I want to. I like going out without my phone, and not having to answer to anyone.

At the same time I love being a partner to someone who doesn't annoy me. I love having someone who likes to have lazy weekends with movies, and board games. I love someone who will go to a diner in the middle of the night for a club sandwich, pie and coffee, or for a bike ride, or for a walk in the woods.

I guess all I'm saying it that I would prefer to be alone and enjoy myself completely than to be with someone who is ok to be around. Until that special someone comes along who I click with I will be here doin' what I want to.

photo via: CUBICLE REFUGEE

No comments: