Friday, January 11, 2008

January 11, 2004




Four years ago my friend, Dave, was killed in a car crash. He was driving home from a friends house in his parents sports car. Upon exiting the highway he hit a telephone pole and died instantly. A transformer then fell onto his car engulfing it in flames.

I really can not believe that it has been four years since we all got the terrible news. This morning as I realized it was the 11th it took my breath away. It seems like it was only yesterday when I got the phone call, and stood in my kitchen frozen. Unable to move, think, or cry. I was in a state of utter disbelief, and to be quote honest- still am in. I keep thinking Dave will sign online to tell me a joke, or pop up at a party.


Dave was the type of guy you felt like you knew your whole life, even if you met him two minutes earlier. He had a smile that lit up a room, and an energy that made you feel wanted and welcome in his presence. He wore faded jeans, track jackets, and pink shoe laces in his BMX sneakers. He still had his little boy wall paper up in his room and the door to his room was covered with sticker. He had long hair before it was the in thing to do, and played magic cards that were stolen then tossed around his parents living room. Dave was such a passionate person who loved life so much, but most of all he was a great friend.

Because of knowing Dave I am a better person today. I try not to take life for granted, and I tell the people I love that I love them as often as I can. I smile more, and savor life.


Dave, I still miss you.

No comments: